Wolfeboro, New Hampshire is a small town located on the eastern shore of Lake Winnipesaukee. The population of Wolfeboro is estimated to be 6,269 people as of 2019. It is situated in the foothills of the White Mountains and has a moderate climate with temperatures ranging from warm summers to cold winters. The town has a rich history that dates back to 1759 when it was incorporated as Wolfeborough. It was once a popular summer resort for wealthy vacationers from Boston and elsewhere in New England.
Politically, Wolfeboro is part of Carroll County and is represented in the U.S. House of Representatives by Ann McLane Kuster (D). The economy is largely based on tourism, with visitors drawn by its natural beauty and recreational opportunities such as boating, fishing, skiing, snowmobiling and more. There are several schools within the area including Kingswood Regional High School, Brewster Academy and Kingswood Elementary School.
In terms of landmarks, there are several historic buildings in Wolfeboro including the Wright Museum which showcases artifacts from World War II as well as local history exhibits; the Old Town Hall which dates back to 1817; and Clark House which was built in 1813 and now serves as a museum dedicated to early 19th century life in New England. Additionally, there are numerous scenic spots around town such as Lake Wentworth State Park which offers camping, picnicking and swimming opportunities; Mount Major which provides spectacular views of Lake Winnipesaukee; and Castle in the Clouds which features miles of hiking trails through lush forests and meadows.
Population: 6,083. Estimated population in July 2020: 6,660 (+9.5% change)
Males: 2,864 (47.1%), Females: 3,219 (52.9%)
Median resident age: 45.3 years
Median household income: $44,012
Median house value: $149,800
Races in Wolfeboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (26.5%), Irish (18.9%), French (11.0%), German (9.5%), United States (7.6%), Italian (5.5%).
Elevation: 573 feet
Land area: 7.0 square miles
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire is a small town located in the Eastern part of the state. It has a population of 6,269 people, as of 2020. The median household income is $67,090 and the per capita income is $32,621. The cost of living in Wolfeboro is slightly higher than the national average; however, it is still considered to be affordable for most people. The median home value in Wolfeboro is $261,100 and the median rent price for a one-bedroom apartment is around $1,000 per month.
The town offers numerous recreational activities including skiing and snowboarding at nearby ski resorts such as Attitash Mountain Resort and Cranmore Mountain Resort. There are also several lakes in the area that offer swimming, fishing and other water activities. For those looking to explore nature further, there are plenty of hiking trails located throughout Wolfeboro. Additionally, there are many parks with playgrounds and picnic areas for families to enjoy together.
Wolfeboro has a variety of restaurants ranging from casual cafes to fine dining establishments suitable for special occasions. There are also plenty of shopping options ranging from small boutiques to large malls with all your favorite stores. The town also hosts many events throughout the year such as art festivals and farmers markets so there’s always something fun going on!
For population 25 years and over in Wolfeboro
- High school or higher: 90.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 34.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.8%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wolfeboro town
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 63.6%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 9.8%
2.9% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 0.7% North America).
Hospital/medical center in Wolfeboro:
- HUGGINS HOSPITAL (SOUTH MAIN STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Wolfeboro:
- LAKES REGION GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; LACONIA, NH)
- FRISBIE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; ROCHESTER, NH)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL THE (about 32 miles; NORTH CONWAY, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wolfeboro:
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 45 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
- MANCHESTER (about 48 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 63 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wolfeboro:
- LAKES REGION (about 4 miles; WOLFEBORO, NH; Abbreviation: 8B8)
- ALTON BAY (about 9 miles; ALTON BAY, NH; Abbreviation: B18)
- LACONIA MUNI (about 15 miles; LACONIA, NH; Abbreviation: LCI)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of New Hampshire graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wolfeboro:
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 33 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 36 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 46 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 53 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,388)
- MERRIMACK COLLEGE (about 63 miles; NORTH ANDOVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,384)
Public high school in Wolfeboro:
- KINGSWOOD REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 974; Location: 396 SOUTH MAIN ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wolfeboro:
- KINGSWOOD REGIONAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 498; Location: 404 SOUTH MAIN ST; Grades: 07 – 08)
- CARPENTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 291; Location: 102 SOUTH MAIN ST; Grades: KG – 03)
- CRESCENT LAKE SCHOOL (Students: 280; Location: 75 MCMANUS RD; Grades: 04 – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Wolfeboro:
- CORNERSTONE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 73; Location: BOX 675; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Wolfeboro:
- WOLFEBORO PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $289,499; Location: 259 SOUTH MAIN STREET; 46,618 books; 1,493 audio materials; 1,482 video materials; 123 serial subscriptions)