According to Sunglasses Will, Seadrift, Texas is a small coastal city located on the Gulf of Mexico, about 75 miles northeast of Corpus Christi. The city is situated in Calhoun County and has a population of around 1,600 people. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average high temperature in July is 89°F and the average low temperature in January is 52°F.
The history of Seadrift dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded as a fishing camp for shrimpers and oystermen. Today, Seadrift remains an important center for commercial fishing, but it has also developed into a popular tourist destination due to its beautiful beaches and nearby wildlife refuges.
Politically, Seadrift is part of Calhoun County and votes mainly Republican in elections. The economy is heavily reliant on fishing as well as tourism and related industries like seafood restaurants and hotels. There are several schools in the area including public elementary schools, one public middle school, and one high school.
Seadrift also has several landmarks that draw tourists year-round including the Texas Maritime Museum which showcases local maritime history, the Matagorda Bay Nature Park which offers guided tours of the area’s wildlife refuges, and Stinson Beach which offers swimming, kayaking, beachcombing, birdwatching and other recreational activities. Additionally, there are several parks located throughout town including Palacios Park which features picnic tables and pavilions for outdoor events or gatherings.
Population: 1,352. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,390 (+2.8% change)
Males: 664 (49.1%), Females: 688 (50.9%)
Zip code: 77983
Median resident age: 34.4 years
Median household income: $26,339
Median house value: $34,100
Races in Seadrift:
- White Non-Hispanic (60.7%)
- Hispanic (27.1%)
- Vietnamese (9.7%)
- Other race (7.9%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Black (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (10.2%), German (9.4%), English (7.0%), United States (7.0%), Dutch (1.8%), Polish (1.6%).
Elevation: 12 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
Seadrift, Texas is a small fishing town located on the Gulf Coast. It has a population of approximately 1,800 people. The majority of the residents are families of fishermen and shrimpers who have lived in the area for generations. Many of these families have been in Seadrift for over 100 years and are proud to call it home. The town also has a large Hispanic population, with many coming from Mexico and other Latin American countries to work in the seafood industry. There is also a strong presence of African-American residents in Seadrift, with many having moved to the area during the Great Migration at the beginning of the 20th century. The population is diverse and welcoming, with people coming together to celebrate holidays like Mardi Gras and Dia de los Muertos. In addition to fishing and shrimping, Seadrift has become known as an artists’ community with several galleries and studios that cater to painters, sculptors, photographers and other creative professionals who live in or visit this charming Gulf Coast town.
For population 25 years and over in Seadrift
- High school or higher: 58.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Seadrift city
- Never married: 19.6%
- Now married: 55.4%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 13.4%
13.3% Foreign born (7.3% Asia, 5.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +75 (+5.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Seadrift:
- MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; PORT LAVACA, TX)
- CITIZENS MEDICAL CENTER (about 34 miles; VICTORIA, TX)
- SCCI HOSPITAL OF VICTORIA (about 34 miles; VICTORIA, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Seadrift:
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 34 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- CORPUS CHRISTI INTL (about 71 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Abbreviation: CRP)
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 100 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Seadrift:
- CALHOUN COUNTY (about 17 miles; PORT LAVACA, TX; Abbreviation: T97)
- ARANSAS CO (about 32 miles; ROCKPORT, TX; Abbreviation: RKP)
- PALACIOS MUNI (about 39 miles; PALACIOS, TX; Abbreviation: PSX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Seadrift:
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 34 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- DEL MAR COLLEGE (about 65 miles; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,454)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 66 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
- COASTAL BEND COLLEGE (about 72 miles; BEEVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,150)
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 76 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 102 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 121 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)