According to campingship, Gower, Missouri is situated on the Missouri River in the northwest corner of the state. The city is known for its rolling hills, lush forests, and abundant wildlife. The climate in Gower is moderate year round, with temperatures rarely dipping below freezing during the winter months and rarely reaching above 90 degrees during the summer months.
Gower was first settled in 1836 by a small group of settlers from Kentucky. These settlers were drawn to Gower because of its fertile soil and plentiful resources. Over time, the small town grew into a bustling city that was home to many businesses and industries. Today, Gower boasts one of the most diverse economies in Missouri with a mix of agriculture, manufacturing, retail, healthcare, and service industries.
Gower is served by two school districts: Gower-Larabee and Gower-Bruno. Both districts offer excellent educational opportunities for students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are also several private schools in Gower as well as numerous universities within driving distance for those seeking higher education opportunities.
When it comes to politics, Gower has traditionally been a Democratic stronghold since its founding days but has become much more politically diverse over time due to an influx of new residents from other areas of Missouri and beyond.
Gower is home to several notable landmarks including the historic Old Town Hall building which dates back to 1870; the Grand River Museum which houses artifacts from early settlers; and the Old Stonemill which was once used as a flour mill but now serves as an attraction for visitors looking to explore local history.
Population: 1,399. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,433 (+2.4% change)
Males: 657 (47.0%), Females: 742 (53.0%)
Zip code: 64454
Median resident age: 35.6 years
Median household income: $48,125
Median house value: $81,800
Races in Gower:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (21.2%), Irish (12.4%), English (11.3%), United States (10.5%), French (2.6%), Italian (2.6%).
Elevation: 941 feet
Land area: 1.0 square miles
Gower, Missouri is a small city located in Platte County. The population of Gower is estimated to be around 1,400 people as of 2019. The majority of the population is White, making up 92.3% of the population. Hispanics and Latinos make up 2.6% of the population, African Americans make up 2.4%, and Asians make up 1%. The median age in Gower is 43 years old and the median household income is $50,000. The poverty rate in Gower is 8%, which is lower than both state and national averages. Education levels tend to be higher than average, with 32% of residents having a bachelor’s degree or higher compared to 24% nationally. A large majority of residents are employed, with 92% being employed full-time or part-time positions. There are also many businesses within the city limits such as retail stores, restaurants, banks, and medical centers that provide jobs for local residents as well as attract visitors from nearby cities and townships. Overall Gower has a stable economy with low unemployment rates which makes it an attractive place to live for those who want to raise a family or start a business here in Missouri.
For population 25 years and over in Gower
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 20.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gower city
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 63.5%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 7.6%
0.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +145 (+11.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gower:
- ST LUKES NORTHLAND HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; SMITHVILLE, MO)
- NORTHWEST MO PSYCHIATRIC REHAB CTR (about 19 miles; SAINT JOSEPH, MO)
- HEARTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; SAINT JOSEPH, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gower:
- ROSECRANS MEMORIAL (about 24 miles; ST JOSEPH, MO; Abbreviation: STJ)
- KANSAS CITY INTL (about 24 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MCI)
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 35 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gower:
- PLATTSBURG AIRPARK (about 11 miles; PLATTSBURG, MO; Abbreviation: 5MO)
- RAINBOW AIR VILLAGE (about 15 miles; DEARBORN, MO; Abbreviation: 0C1)
- CAMERON MEMORIAL (about 25 miles; CAMERON, MO; Abbreviation: EZZ)
Amtrak station near Gower:
- 18 miles: ST. JOSEPH (4225 FREDERICK AVE.) – Bus Station. Services: full-service food facilities, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gower:
- MISSOURI WESTERN STATE COLLEGE (about 18 miles; ST JOSEPH, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,329)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,998)
- PARK UNIVERSITY (about 29 miles; PARKVILLE, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,180)
- KANSAS CITY KANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; KANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER (about 37 miles; KANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,168)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGES (about 39 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,259)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY (about 40 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,830)
Public high school in Gower:
- EAST BUCHANAN HIGH (Students: 229; Location: 100 SMITH ST; Grades: 09 – 12)